Friday, October 5, 2012

Rockin' Rocks

 

We wrapped up our Rocks and Minerals Unit this week with a rock share. My kids brought in their own rocks to show off. After identifying all the rock's properties, they drew a picture of their rock and named it. While the kids were busy being little geologists, I called groups to my back to table and introduced metric weight. The children weighed their rocks in grams and recorded the weight on the rock sheet that I'm sharing this week. 
  As a class we decided how to classify our rocks into 5 main groups according to their properties. We ended up with a brown color group, a dull luster group, a shiny luster group, a white streak group,and soft rocks (could be scratched with a penny). 
  We invited two other third grade classes to our room to show off our rocks. The classes rotated around my room stopping at each rock group. My children were responsible for explaining the property that their group represented. 




They did an amazing job. What a wonderful group of little geologists! 
 



                        

2 comments:

  1. Excited to be follower #6! I saw you on a comment you made on "Hoot Hoot Hooray" that gave your wordpress blog address. Went there and saw that you've moved your teaching ideas here. Love the concept of this blog! Definitely a quest of mine, as well!
    Growing Firsties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. I'm happy to have you as a follower. If you would like a free signed copy of my book for your classroom, I'd be happy to send you one. :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...