Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Close Reading and Common Core

Hello everybody. This is a big week for me. My Common Core Reading Bundle was picked to be featured for Teacher Tuesday at the Late Night Coffee Blog and I'm a guest writer for Rachel Lynette tomorrow at Minds in Bloom.  Come back and click below to read my close reading article at Minds in Bloom.

                                                               

Now for Tuesday's Tip. I created learning teams for math this year to work on tasks connected to the new common core math standards. My students absolutely love working with their teams. While exploring bigger numbers, I gave each team a set of place value blocks. After telling them what number I wanted represented, the teams had to make the number two different ways and draw it out. They really were able to grasps the concepts such as 12 hundreds = 1,200, 10 tens=100,  and so on.  I repeated the process with different numbers. You can download the recording sheet below.


Stop back tomorrow and follow the link mentioned above to read my article about close reading.










2 comments:

  1. I will have to check out your close reading post! My teammate is working on the same concepts in math right now. Thanks for sharing and linking up!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...